Do you know these foods that remind you of your childhood? This sweet semolina slices are definitely one of these foods for me. Actually they’re nothing else than too thick cooked semolina pudding breaded and fried in a pan. Well, but in some way they’re much more than that tho 😉
Breaded Vegan Semolina Slices
- For the semolina slices:
- 240 g semolina
- 700 ml plant milk, almond, oat or soy milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp plant-based butter
- pinch of salt
- For breading::
- plant milk
- plant-based butter for frying
- cinnamon sugar and e.g. apple sauce or red berry compote for serving
- For the semolina slices bring salt, sugar and butter to a boil. Stirring, gradually add semolina. Let simmer for about 3-4 minutes (on low heat) to a thick semolina pudding, stirring continuously. (First with a whisk, then with a wooden spoon, because mixture gets very thick.)
- Spread the semolina on a wet board, about 1 cm thick (approximately 1/2 inch). Let cool down completely.
- For breading put milk and flour into a bowl and mix well until it becomes viscous. Spread breadcrumbs in another plate. Dip semolina pieces first into the milk-flour mixture and then roll in breadcrumbs. Press down firmly until the slices are covered with breadcrumbs on all sides.
- Heat butter in a pan and cook semolina slices until golden brown on both sides. Arrange on plates and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Serve with apple sauce or compote.